Sunday, May 30, 2010

Intentional Part 2

I didn't mean for this to become a series. I swear.

I thought I was done.

And then God did something today that made me laugh. Out loud.

I have been telling everyone, I need a job. June 1st. That's my deadline. My payers had become, Lord I need a job June 1st. No specifics. No I would like the job to be a consistent, paying job with consistent hours. Half way trusting. Resigning to the idea that June 1st was an impossible dream.
Then I get a phone call. I am needed Tuesday (June 1st) for a one-time 11-5 babysitting job.
Well played God.

Here's the thing: I am not intentional with my praying. I ask God to show me things. To show me how to love like He does without conditions, to give like He does without concern and to die to my selfishness so that I can live through Him. But, as good as that sounds, I just pray it. I just use words that sound seminary like and then move about my day wondering why my heart is unchanged. I don't actually expect God to show up, to show power, to show His glory off like He has done, is doing and will do.

Recently at a Elevate, Jason Gaston challenged the students to be intentional with sticky notes. 5 people that they could witness too and writing down their names so that they could pray intentionally for those people that God would open doors and hearts for the Gospel.

Confession: I don't have 5 people.

Yet.

Maybe it's time to pray intentionally. For my heart to be softened and my words to be His. Praying intentionally that the God of salvation would move in Raleigh-Durham, The US and the World, not resigning myself and telling myself that the prayer may be too big.

And then believe He will show up in big ways because it's not too difficult for Him to do that.

Daniel 9:18b
" We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy."

No comments: