Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grateful

In a world with internet thieves, mosquitoes and broken washing machines it is hard sometimes to find things to be thankful for. But as I write tonight- there are many things that I am grateful for:

A family whose support for this overseas job has been amazing. I expected nothing less- although at times I am sure they questioned my sanity.
A home church and two loving schools without which I would not be here- financially, spiritually, emotionally, physically.
The people in the US who pray for me on a weekly bases- I have only made it this far because of them.
Friends in the US and in other countries whose facebook messages and e-mails make me smile on a daily bases.
An employer who understands and laughs at my corny jokes.
The security guards in my apartment complex who smile and say "good morning" even if it is the middle of the night.
The group of women that smile, laugh and wave at me as I pass by them in the afternoons and that allow me to play with their children when I am not busy.
The group of men in the morning that play cards in the morning, but stop long enough to let me through on my way to work.
The man who offered me his umbrella in the pouring rain.
The little boy down the street who smiles and waves at me every day.
The women who lives beneath the stairs at Skyline who tells everyone they are pretty as they walk past.
A roommate that does not understand the difference between wireless and virus and says them the same way and allows me to be a bit messy from time to time.
People in Thailand who loved me, let me crash and showed me a what true Thailand was.
The Chappells in Thailand who fed me an amazing meal.
Sarah and her dad letting me stay with them in Hong Kong- even though I was not the best tour guide and lost them for a few hours.
The Vanguard store clerks who smile at me and point to the vegetables they think I should eat.
The man who tries to keep an English newspaper for me everyday, even if I do not get to the stand until late at night.
The woman at the coffee shop who burns my latte but gives me extra whip cream at no charge.
Chinese teachers that think I am crazy at first, but after everything is said and done, nod their approval and thanks.
Students that overwhelm me with their smiles and hugs everyday.

Even with all the up and down emotions and crazy days, I am thankful for the people I have met here and the things I have learned.

No comments: