Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekends

I love weekends.

I love Saturdays and the adventures in holds. I love going to Macau on a Saturday. I love it when the foreigners lane is short on both the China and Macau sides. I love meeting people in random coffee shops and having conversions about why they are in Asia. I love walking around in between the narrow streets and seeing Hong Kong Chinese people having a celebration of the day. I love having them serenade me in English then invite me to join offering expensive Chinese beer and BBQ pork. I love watching them use three different languages and have conversations that I only understand a little bit off happening around me.

I love Sundays and International fellowship. I love going to dinner and have random conversations with the fellow Kiwis or Americans in the room. I love icing cakes for the gatherings with my employer and how she trust me to ice the cake without ruining it. I love walking in the rain with her children and having conversations about splashing in the puddles. I love the way that the Kiwis bless our food by using an upbeat children's song to do it- and how they do not judge me when I chuckle about it. I love learning about the "All You Can Eat for 40Yuan Fridays" at a pizza bar in downtown and making plans to visit.

The next few weeks I will watch a people who have played an important role in my first year here leave. My hope is that as the second year approaches I can only come to love weekends even more although the people are different.

No comments: