Monday, May 23, 2011

Psalm 23

I am currently waiting for Netflix to load and decided to write a blog.

What a strange week it has been. My car was loaded (thanks to the help of some fabulous people... ahem Hannah Mack and The Pipers and my Mom and Dad), driven to Virginia and sort of unloaded.... in order or stuff which I feel like I will need in the next two weeks.

But the strangeness really happened today. I did nothing.
Not really nothing. I went grocery shopping with my dad, used a Starbucks gift card that I got for my birthday, watched a movie, watched the Bachelorette, ate, took a walk, texted some favorites back in Raleigh. But I didn't rush anywhere. I didn't have to go to work. I didn't have to write a paper or watch any children. I didn't have small group.

It was strange. I felt like I needed to be somewhere.
Then I got an e-mail. An e-mail that asked if I was interested in being an intern with a church plant in Washington. I started freaking out.

I get bored really easily. I think it's a matter of I feel like I need to be used or doing something.
The reality is the e-mailed freaked me out because I needed something to do. Instead of trusting God and God's sovereign plan over my life, I stressed out that perhaps this is where he wants me or maybe I have been wrong, or what if the place where I am in the fall requires support raising and that's just hard to do in California.

So while at Starbucks getting my free drink, I started reading Psalm 23. Such a familiar passage with familiar saying that many times I glaze over. The point of the passage though is not me. It is not about who I am or what I have done. It is about Christ. Christ leads me to still waters, Christ restores my soul and ultimately, Christ brings me home. I sat in silence (well as much as I could as Starbucks was blasting Lady Gaga) and tried to focus my heart on those truths.
That while nothing goes as I plan, everything is under His authority and in His control.

 "Will you lead me beside the still water? Where oil, it runs over, and my cup overflows. You restore my soul."

No comments: