Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goals 2011

I am generally not a person who sets new years resolutions or long term goals in general. I like the short term- easy to see results method. In most cases, it's good for me. I set a time limit on when my room should be clean, laundry should be done, homework finished. It's a good plan. However, I am coming to realize that small steps towards a big goal are still steps. Even when I get frustrated and want to quit or fail. It's what I do after that.


So in an effort to make some changes, I have a list of goals (reasonably set so I can actually achieve them) which I will now share with the blogging world so that maybe I can have some form accountability.

1. Eat healthier. It seems like this is a common NYR but I have been experimenting over the last year and find that when I eat healthier I have more energy, more drive, less down days. It sounds cliche but I am sure that when Daniel told the king's helper that they would only eat fruits and vegetables because it was glorifying to God....God knew what he was doing when. It's what our bodies were created for. To glorify God. It's still something that I am praying for strength about because... it's hard. Lets face it. Deliverance is never an easy process. The Israelites complained that being in Egypt would be better than being the desert. I would rather be held captive by something I know brings "comfort, joy, pleasure" then actually turn to God who although has proven faithful I am still unable to trust in.

2. Spend more time with my roommates. One of my roommates is crazy. The other is quiet. It's hard when the polar opposites make me what to run in my room and hide. But I am coming to realize that God can teach me through either roommate. There are lessons that need to be learnt and bonds that need to be made. I have failed at this miserably in the past. It's time to start pouring my life into the ones that live closest to me.

3. Find something to do where I can share the gospel. No seriously. I haven't decided what yet but I need to figure out something. Right now I am praying. But I am almost think it's time to start acting as well.

That's it so far. I have minor goals such as keeping things cleaner and making sure that I get everything do but that's what post-it notes are for. In the middle of all of those daily, minor goals, maybe I can squeeze one or tow of my major goals in and celebrate the freedom, friendship and salvation that has been given to me by a great and mighty God.

No comments: